NYHIST-L Archives

May 2000

From:
"Thomas W. Perrin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 07:30:14 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> It would be work, I am sure, but it would seem like before the next
> census of 2010, that our government should attempt to convert to
> the GIS mapping system. All residences could be located on those
> maps and assigned a definite location ID and it would simplify a
> lot of processes for not only census but any municipal govenment
> to properly identify all necessary information for taxes, utilities, and
> other reports as needed.
>
> Ruth Ann Messick

With regards to Census 2010, I think that the Bureau would do well to
poll its junior and temporary staff now for problems that arose with
Census 2000.  The temporary staff will soon be dispersed, and will not
be available for consultation and feedback.

Even though the current crop of problems and inconsistencies might be
deemed minor in nature, there is nothing wrong with getting it right the
next time around.  An enormous amount of taxpayer money might be saved
in the process.