NYHIST-L Archives

September 2002

From:
Janet Butler Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:30:53 -0400
I took a look at Randall Comfort's History of the the Bronx Borough
(1906) and saw that Henry Scofield Pell who was raised on City Island
and was actively involved in the community.  He is cited as becoming NYS
Clerk in 1893; and judging from the brief entry (the rest of which you
already know) he may not have been serving at the time that Comfort's
book was issued.

You might want to contact the City Island Historical Society at
www.cityisland museum.org
to see if they have more information on him; or alternately contact a
Mormon
regional center (Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints) to use
their

I noticed too that the NYS Library has a Pell family periodical called
Pelliana: Pell of Pelham which might be a promising source. Perhaps the
State Library may have some
additionally information about Henry Scofield Pell.

Janet Butler Munch
Special Collections Librarian
Lehman College Library