NYHIST-L Archives

April 2000

From:
Karen Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:04:51 -0400
I lived 20 years in a community where my postal address was different than my actual location. The same was true for our whole neighborhood.   That's because the mail was routed through a different post office.
Living in the Town of Wilton, Saratoga Co(which at least for a while did have its own post office not far from my home),  my postal address was  labeled Gansevoort, NY.
kc.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/21/00 01:21PM >>>
Dear NY Historians, etc.,

I am looking to add to my collection of New York State postal confusions and
would greatly appreciate any input from anywhere in NYS.

A postal confusion is the result of a non-coforming postal zone, whereby a
place has a different community name in its mailing address than the
community where that place is actually located.

I'm including a partial list of such postal confusions from Long Island
(mostly Nassau County) after my name.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance,

Sincerely,

Walter Greenspan

This is a preliminary and partial listing of famous Long Island places that
are Not Where You Think They AreGÇöIt's somewhat incredulous that the majority
of places in Nassau and Suffolk Counties have a different community name in
their mailing address than the community they are actually in,

.            You Ain't Where You Think You Are
.               Place, Community (Postal Zone)

Cold Spring Harbor Lab, Village of Laurel Hollow (Cold Spring Harbor, NY)

C.W. Post University, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Fishers Island, Hamlet of Fishers Island (Fishers Island, CT)

Hofstra University Dorms, Hamlet of East Garden City (Hempstead, NY)

Jericho Cider Mill, Village of Muttontown (Jericho, NY)

Leonard's of Great Neck, Hamlet of University Gardens (Great Neck, NY)

Long Island Jewish Hospital, Village of Lake Success (New Hyde Park, NY)

Long Island RR Station, Village of Great Neck Plaza (   Great Neck, NY)

Long Island RR Station,  Hamlet of East Northport (Northport, NY)

Nassau Executive Building, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Nassau County Community College, Hamlet of East Garden City (Garden City, NY)

Nassau County Supreme Court, Village of Garden City (Mineola, NY)

Planting Fields Arboretum, Village of Upper Brookville (Oyster Bay, NY)

Republic Airport, Hamlet of East Farmingdale     (Farmingdale, NY)

Roosevelt Field, Hamlet of East Garden City (Westbury, NY)

Sagamore Hill, Village of Cove Neck (Oyster Bay, NY)

St. Francis Hospital, Village of Flower Hill (Roslyn, NY)

SUNY Farmingdale, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Suffolk Old County Seat, Hamlet of Riverside (Riverhead, NY)

Sunrise Mall, Hamlet of East Massapequa (Massapequa, NY)

Tilles Center, Village of Brookville (Greenvale, NY)

Troop L, NYS Police, Hamlet of East Farmingdale (Farmingdale, NY)

Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, Hamlet of East Garden City (Uniondale, NY)

Walt Whitman House, Hamlet of West Hills (Huntington Station, NY)

Walt Whitman Mall, Hamlet of South Huntington (Huntington Station, NY)

Westbury Music Fair, Hamlet of Jericho (Westbury, NY)