NYHIST-L Archives

September 1997

From:
Sheila Strickland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 1997 10:52:00 -0400
        William Pryor Letchworth, commissioner of the NY State Board of
Charities from 1873-1896  "endeavored,  while taking a general survey of the
whole state, to keep both the public and the private charitable institutions
of the Eighth Judicial District under special and continuous observation."

     In 1897, he published a report entitled "A Record of Examinations and
Official Inspections of Charitable Institutions in the Counties of Allegany,
Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming in the
State of New York"  (HV98.N7L4).  I have read this report and now I would
like to find out particulars of two facilities run by Roman Catholic
Charities.  I have written to one of the religious organizations and received
a generalized description in response.  I am looking for recorded information
on residents other than the census lists.

     NY State Archives has a collection of records "Census of Inmates in
Almhouses and Poorhouses, 1875-1921 (A1978).  Does anyone have further
information on this collection ?  Does this collection included private
charitable institutions as well as public ?  Is Wm Letchworth's collection of
records included in this series or in a different series ?

     I am specifically looking for information on:
 Bridget GLENN LOFT(US) at St. Francis Asylum run by the Sisters of St
Francis for the care of the old and infirmed, 330 Pine Street, Buffalo from
1895?-1917
 Mary DOYLE O'NEILL at Providence Lunatic Asylum run by Sisters of Charity,
Main St near Humbolt Parkway, Buffalo from 1880-1883.

     I would appreciated hearing from anyone who has researched these type of
records.

Regards,
Sheila Strickland