NYHIST-L Archives

December 1998

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
"Thomas W. Perrin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 14:43:17 -0500
Not a direct answer to your question, but perhaps peripherally useful.

Over thirty years ago, Robert L. Arnold, then a professor at Jersey
City  State College, and W. Charles Lahey, then professor at SUNY
Potsdam, published first, in 1962, A proposal for the development of:
The Discovery Approach to the Teaching of Social Studies and followed it
in 1965 with: Inquiry, Source Book for the Discovery Approach to Social
Studies. My copy, which I still have, was published privately and used
as a textbook.

This approach involved the gathering of primary and contemporary
secondary historical sources of St. Lawrence County, NY and was a case
method in New York History, as well as any other history.

My memories of the course are that it was refreshing, and a heck of a
lot more interesting than prior approaches to learning.

Like much of what I learned at Potsdam, the lessons I learned in this
course have withstood the test of time, and I can't think of any greater
accolade to give these two professors.

Tom Perrin
SUNY, Potsdam, '68