NYHIST-L Archives

August 2003


Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Message: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]
Author: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Marjorie Oi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
A LISTSERV list for discussions pertaining to New York State history." <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:50:32 -0400
text/plain (31 lines)
You can find information online at www.bls.gov (the website for Bureau of
Labor Statistics).  BLS collects data on consumer prices for each year.  The
detailed online data may not go back to 1949, but any university library may
have reports for earlier years.

You should also be able to find information in the "Economic Report of the
President"  This is published annually and later ones are available online
at http://w3.access.gpo.gov/eop/index.html The online information again does
not appear to go back to 1949, but the published reports should also be
available in the library.

Marjorie Oi
690  Winton Road South
Rochester, NY 14618

-----Original Message-----
From: A LISTSERV list for discussions pertaining to New York State history.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Poor House Lady
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 12:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: 1949 pay vs. 2003 pay

Can someone refer me to a reliable source to find/calculate the relative
purchasing power of (for example) $82 in 1949 vs. $1290 in 2003?
I never can remember the correct term for this kind of adjustment!  So much
for googling.

Linda Crannell