NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:17:53 -0500
Bill:

A response from the College of Saint Rose, Albany, New York:

we offer a New York State History undergraduate survey course, usually three of us teaching it in a semester, and the course is scheduled on alternate Spring semesters. Two of us who teach this course are adjuncts. There are usually 3 or 4 sections and there will be 25-30 students enrolled in each. There is no main text used, as nothing has been in print for a long time. I am reading Milton Klein's new book in anticipation of using it. Otherwise, each instructor has chosen various books and woven them together via lectures.

We also offer a number of specialized one-credit weekend course in NYS/ NYS regional history, various books and lecturers who are adjunct faculty.  We offer two of these courses each semester, up from three per year. Enrollment is usually 15-25 students per course. Courses of this sort include (or have included):

American Revolution
Industrial revolution
Pre-industrial New York
the Palatine Germans
architecture of New York
Frontier Albany
Victorian Albany
New York in the Civil War
the Anti-Rent Wars
the Woodland Indians
Planes, Trains and Automobiles, a history of transportation

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/16/01 10:42AM >>>
Colleagues,
I am interested in knowing about any and all college-level courses in New York State history.
I would like to have the following information:
Name of Institution
Course
Person or persons that usually teach the course (if possible)?
How often offered?
How many students enrolled per semester or per year?
Main text used?
You may reach me off-list at [log in to unmask]  Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

Bill Graebner
Professor and Chair
Department of History
SUNY Fredonia