NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:47:29 -0400
I suggest looking through the Crown Collection Series One. There is a good map showing the protage and all the various forst in that period. It is better than most because it carries the portage route all the way to Fort Bull on Wood Creek. This map is reproduced in the book on Fort Bull by Haggerty (forget the precise citation).

Philip Lord, Jr.
Historical Survey
New York State Museum

>>> Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]> 08/10 9:59 AM >>>
readers:
I received a request from an author for aid in locating a map or maps that
show the chain of fortifications along the Oneida Carry from the Oneida
Lake end of Wood creek to the Mohawk. I am aware of the Fleury map as
published in Stone's "Life of Brant". Would anyone know the whereabouts of
the original? And would there be other maps from a similiar period
(ca.1750-1800)? I have also heard mention of a plan book of fortifications
drawn by a female French engineer-does that ring a bell for anyone?

thanks,

Greg Ketcham
webmaster,
"Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York Frontier"
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/4171