NYHIST-L Archives

May 2000

Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 07:52:18 EDT
A short description of the impact of the postal name spelling
simplifications is on pp.9-10 of J.L.Kay & C.M.Smith's "New York
Postal History..." 1982 APS book.  It involved dropping apostrophes,
forming one-word names from 2-parts, burgh->burg, etc.

The changes were imposed starting circa 1892.  In my county,
Dutchess, most entries show change starting 1894-95.  By 1905
many names were being changed back.  This book on the NYS post
office names shows the span of years that this change lasted.
Some names were never revised back, however.

Tim Holls
20000502.0745
Since the subject of places and post offices has come up I wonder if
anyone has any information on a postal service policy which
purportedly mandated the simplification of post office names.
Supposedly the postal service decreed that "unnecessary" Hs  and
other unneeded letters be dropped from post office names -- so
Whallonsburgh because Whallonsburg, Willsborough became Willsboro,
Plattsburgh became Plattsburg, etc.  Does anyone have any information
on this subject?