NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
Philip Terrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:05:29 -0500
Off the top of my head:

The Damnation of Theron Ware, by Harold Frederick--a terrific novel,
about the Mohawk Valley, 1880s.   This is a wonderfully subtle and
under-appreciated work of American fiction.

William Kennedy's Albany novels.

Cooper, of course.

Short stories by Philander Deming--about Adirondacks and St. Lawrence
Valley, written 1880s-early 1900s, excellent and little known
examples of regional realism.

Dreiser, An American Tragedy--a great book, but probably too long for
your needs.

cheers,
phil

--