NYHIST-L Archives

July 2023

From:
VRA Workshops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:37:44 -0400
Ready for a hands-on learning opportunity? Register now for Our Stories, Our Voices: A Hands-On Workshop on Digitizing Community Archives

Learn from instructor Elizabeth Chiang how to leverage digitization as a means of sharing and preserving community history. Our Stories, Our Voices will be held August 25th in person at the George Eastman Museum in Rochester, New York.

Our Stories, Our Voices: A Hands-On Workshop on Digitizing Community Archives
George Eastman Museum (Rochester, NY)
August 25th,9:30-5pm ET

(IN PERSON WORKSHOP)
Instructor: Elizabeth Chiang

Limited to 20 participants; $125 registration fee

LINK TO REGISTER

Link to info sheet for participants

Workshop Description:
Digitization, by us, for us. This workshop is geared towards community archives, kinfolk historians, and small groups, particularly those who want to leverage digitization as a means of sharing and preserving community history.

In this workshop, we will discuss:

Cost-effective and open-source software and technologies for digitization projects
How to navigate small spaces, for physical workspaces and digital storage space
Best practices for digitization, including examples of scalable workflows
How to balance these workflows against limitations of time, budget and space
Resource pooling and how this can help achieve unexpected goals
This workshop will also include:
Demonstrations about material handling and object storage. Participants will work with different types of housings and enclosures that may be encountered during digitization. Attendees will take home a sample starter kit of archival enclosures. Participants will have the opportunity to digitize an item in their own collections*. High resolution image files will be emailed to each participant after the workshop

*Participants are invited to bring a maximum of one object from their personal or community collection. The George Eastman Museum is dedicated to providing a safe-space environment: we want to create a space where all people, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, or religion, are accepted and respected. Please be cognizant of the group setting of this event when selecting objects to bring to the workshop. Due to technical limitations, objects cannot exceed the size of 11x14 inches flat, 10 inches in height, or weigh more than 1lb. Please do not bring any objects that contain flammable, caustic, or toxic components. Participants will be required to sign a hold-harmless agreement and a personal-property pass prior to arriving at the workshop.

About the Instructor:
Elizabeth Chiang is the Museum Photographer at the George Eastman Museum. She is the principal imaging technician for the ongoing digitization of the museum collection. She is in charge of maintaining imaging workflows for grant-funded digitization projects. Outside of the studio, she documents galleries and museum spaces using 3D scanning. Elizabeth has a Master of Arts in Photographic Preservation and Collections Management from Toronto Metropolitan University. She is also a guest lecturer for the Department of Museum Studies at the Rochester Institute of Technology and teaches courses in cultural heritage digitization.

***

If you have any questions, please send an email to the Regional Workshop Implementation Team at [log in to unmask]