NYHIST-L Archives

October 2001

From:
Chris Andrle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:13:24 -0500
Anyone with an interest in the loss and destruction of public records should
read Rochester author Nicholson Baker's book "Double Fold: Libraries and the
Assault on Paper." He documents the shocking story of how the federal
government has provided hundreds of millions of dollars for "microfilm
preservation" of documents, books and newspapers. With few exceptions, the
originals were cut from their bindings, discarded, pulped or sold to
collectors. Even the Library of Congress is guilty and their discards often
show up on eBay, sometimes selling for hundreds or even thousands of
dollars.

This still continues today. I recently heard the head of the New York State
Newspaper Project speak. His primary focus was on content preservation via
microfilming at any cost. He was not a researcher or user of microfilm
himself and had no appreciation for the problems of microfilm. He admitted
that quality inspection of microfilm is cost prohibitive but brushed off
problems such as improper developing, out-of-focus images, and missing
pages, problems that are often not found until long after the original is
gone.

Here in Erie County, there is an identified need for a regional records
storage facility but funding is a problem. Just a few days ago, an
alternative solution was mentioned in a newspaper article - microfilm
preservation! All those old city documents, including those with the
signatures of Grover Cleveland and Millard Fillmore and your
great-grandfather's naturalization records can be discarded once they are
"preserved" on microfilm. Apparently, it is still easier to fund a
microfilming project than to build a records storage facility.

At the end of his book, Baker lists four recommendations:

1. Libraries that receive public money should be required to publish monthly
lists of discards on their websites so that the public has some way of
determining which of them are acting responsibly on  behalf of their
collections.

2. The Library of Congress should lease or build a large building and put
everything in it in call number order that they are sent by publishers and
can't or don't want to hold on site. If they are unwilling to perform the
basic function of a national repository, then Congress should designate and
fund some other archive to do the job.

3.Several libraries around the country should begin to save the country's
current newspaper output in bound form.

4. The National Endowment for the Humanities should either abolish the US
Newspaper Program and the Brittle Books Program entirely, or require as a
condition of funding that all microfilming and digital scanning be
nondestructive and all originals be saved afterward.

Chris Andrle