NYHIST-L Archives

December 1997

From:
"Robert V. Shear" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 17:03:41 -0500
James Folts wrote:

> Wilbur H. Siebert, The Underground Railroad from Slavery to Freedom
> (New York 1898; reprinted 1967) contains an appendix listing by county
> and city or town individuals said to have been associated with the Under
> Ground Rail Road.  This data could be mapped to indicate the distribution
> of "agents" or other persons listed by Siebert, but that would not
> constitute a map of routes, let alone a complete map of UGRR sites.

The individuals listed in Siebert for NYS, along with some others, are
listed at http://www.nyhistory.com/ugrr/people.htm.  This might be a
good time to re-state my invitation that people with info on people or
places active in the UGRR in NYS post me a note.  My intent is to
maintain both files as .dbfs for anyone who wants them, and to update as
new info is acquired.  The People file is a bit along.  The Places file
is just a basic form at this point.

Bob Shear