From:
Hugh Mac Dougall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 16:15:50 -0400
        At I guess, I would suggest the Le Raysville (Leraysville) situated in the
Town of Le Ray, in Jefferson County -- which is listed in Barber & Howe's
1845 "Historical Collections of the State of New York" gazetteer. It is the
site of the Le Ray Mansion built in 1806 by Dr. Beaudry for James Le Ray de
Chaumont -- the Frenchman who settled much of the Adirondack area. See T.
Wood Clarke, "Emigres in the Wilderness" (New York: Macmillan, 1941). But
there is also a Rayville in the Town of Chatham, in Columbia County.

Hugh C. MacDougall
Secretary/Treasurer
James Fenimore Cooper Society

> From: Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Raystown, New York
> Date: Tuesday, June 09, 1998 10:07 AM
>
> I received an inquiry regarding an early 19th century place name -
Raystown, NY - for which I can find no listing in any of the place name
databases we have here.