From:
HistorianCindyA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:10:00 -0400
I haven't really kept up on this one because I'm not from that part of the State and don't know anything about it, but when I read Cumberland County , Susquehanna, New York Province it made me think of something.  This is just a guess though, so I hope it doesn't sound stupid.  I remembered the Holland Land Company had Joseph Ellicott survey their land in Pennsylvania at some point before he did our land here in 1797, to solve a border line dispute between NY and Pennsylvania.
I got a history book on Pennsylvania, but it doesn't have a map that shows the counties, but they do have a Cumberland County. Any one got a map to see if that county is on the border of NY State? Since the Squehanna river runs down into Penn, could this person have penned his letter from the disputed teritory?

--
Cindy Amrhein
Town of Alabama Historian