NYHIST-L Archives

January 2006

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:50:50 -0500
Hello Kelly: I have researched pre-Civil War black churches in
Connecticut and it is very difficult as this was pioneering, missionary
work, often done by unpaid traveling clergy or deacons, and there were
no dioceses or similar episcopal structures.  For AME Zion there were,
however, "conferences" organized by states which held annual sessions
(meetings).  By 1857 these seem to be well-developed and organized.  I
found reference to an 1857 session of the New York Conference, see
below.

You need to see if the session proceedings or journals were published,
or if they exist somewhere in manuscript form.  Hopefully individual
churches are listed with statistics, name of minister, etc.

I tried LC catalog and could only find single issues of published
journals.  Perhaps these are cataloged as a serial.

You should also contact Old John Street Methodist Church, from which
AME Zion split off in 1796:

Reverend Jason Radmacher, Phone: 212-269-0014
Address: 44 John Street, New York, New York 100038
Between Nassau and William Streets

The reference to the 1857 New York Conference annual session is in this
detailed work:

HISTORY OF THE A. M. E. ZION CHURCH IN AMERICA.  FOUNDED IN 1796, IN
THE CITY OF NEW YORK. COMPILED AND PUBLISHED BY JOHN JAMISON MOORE, D.
D.,  BISHOP OF A. M. E. Z. CHURCH. YORK PA.: TEACHERS' JOURNAL OFFICE,
1884.

reprinted online at http://docsouth.unc.edu/church/moorej/moore.html

The session lasted 12 days!

p. 115:

The Thirty-sixth Session of the New York Conference of the A. M. E. Z.
Church assembled in Zion Church, corner of Church and Leonard streets,
New York City, May 16th, 1857, Rt. Rev. James Simmons presiding, Rt.
Rev. S. T. Scott, associate; and Rev. Robert R. Morris, secretary, with
George E. Spywood assisting. Number of ministers in attendance, 30;
number of members reported, 1507; Sunday-schools, 7; scholars, 323;
teachers, 46. This conference was in session twelve days.

Best wishes,

David

David W. Palmquist
Head, Chartering Program
NY State Museum
NY State Education Department
3097 Cultural Education Center
Albany NY 12230
518-473-3131
FAX 518-473-8496
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web site:  www.nysm.nysed.gov/charter/

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/27/05 2:45 PM >>>
I am researching the African Methodist Episcopal Church that was
incorporated in the Village of Canajoharie in 1857.  Apparently the
congregation did not last long as there are virtually no records to be
found.  Is there a centralized location for AME Zion church records to
go when the congregations dissolve?  I don't have much information to go
on, only the date of incorporation and a few names of some early members
involved in the incorporation.  Any ideas?

Kelly A. Yacobucci Farquhar
County Historian/RMO
Montgomery County Dept. of History & Archives
Old Courthouse, P.O. Box 1500
Fonda, NY  12068-1500
518-853-8186