NYHIST-L Archives

October 2000

From:
David Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:22:32 -0500
Here in Niagara at the time you specify we, of course, are decidedly French and have little love for Les Anglais. Therefore, Monsieur, we would prefer prospective colonists to go elsewhere, perhaps to the Carolinas where they will not be such a threat to New France.

Merci and au revoir.

L'historien du Comte de Niagara

>>> [log in to unmask] 10/30/00 09:35PM >>>
Dear Sirs or Madam:

Please help for my 8th grade Social Studies challenge: to make
a "sales" pamphlet to entice people to choose to come to New York
Colony rather than any of the other 12 colonies.

The time frame is 1730-1750 AD.

Information on a citizens relationship with community and colony
government might be helpful.  How hard was it to start a new business
or farm.  Were there incentives provided by the community to help
newcomers get started? (Example: seed for a new farmer)

Were well-to-do colonists sought after to invest in ongoing businesses?
What were the opportunities ... successful and unsuccessful businesses?
How "modern" was the economy?  Money, contracts, banking services?

Appreciate your reply to [log in to unmask]

                    Respectfully,

                        Sean Allen

Apt 4-216
14038 Peyton Drive