NYHIST-L Archives

October 2000

Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 11:46:31 -0400
Having a place to place information about people who have left
and area and the records on them in repositories in another
county or state has bothered me for sometime. I kept saying
"If we knew who to contact and pass this along, someone would
probably be thrilled to make the connection."

While in Dearborn, MI at an historical society, I found mention of
Giles Slocum formerly of Sartoga Co., NY.  His nephew placed
a monument in Greenridge Cem. in Saratoga Springs and give
this information. Unfortunately, this is rare.

I had hoped that through the Rootsweb GenWebPages, we
could add some sort of section where the information found
afar could be added easily so that a part of the history could
be returned and noted.

The website Phil Lord has provided is just the ticket.  Now how
do we get the word out to the people who are viewing all kinds
of records that need to be "noted back in NYS"?

Right off the top of my head, at Onondaga Co. Library in Syracuse
is a 30+ set of books that were compiled by the Michigan Pioneers
and each year at their annual meeting, they updated all information
about their group. These were not written by historians at a later
date but by themselves, noting they did not want their stories lost.
Their original writings give the information about where they came
from in NYS, where their families fanned out to including other parts
of NYS and they chronicled their activities when they came to
uninhabited places in NYS (and MI) and some of that is not in the
local histories of the places they started.  There are many more
such publications that are about NYS.

Any suggestions on how we can get many interested groups to
accomplish finding and contributing to this?  I think this would
be a very worthwhile project and imput to get it going would
greatly contribute to our history. Bruce Manzer wrote the Bibliography
of Saratoga County and it is amazing how many places on the
Earth he found Saratoga.

God Bless
Ruth Ann