NYHIST-L Archives

January 2002

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:35:56 -0500
I always thought of Shays in his Massachusetts role, not as a long-time later resident of NY.  I would be interested in the details of that later life.  LC lists Daniel Shays' dates as 1747 to 1825, so he lived through important decades of state and national controversy.  Did he just disappear and settle down to a quiet life of farming?  Or was he drawn to the politics of Jacksonian radicalism and the movements in rural NY that led, after his death, to the Anti-Rent Wars?

A search of the NYS historic marker database shows no mention of Shays.

There are 20 works in the NYS Library catalog on Shays, some of which might have clues to his later life.

You should also check the following, listed in LC which is not listed in the NYSL catalog.  The publisher, NEHGS has copies for sale at $2.00 each:

Title:         The Family of Daniel Shays : from Descendants of
                  Daniel Shays, by Elmer S. Smail, November, 1934 / edited by
                  Mary Ann Nicholson.
Published:     Boston : New England Historic Genealogical
                  Society, c1987.
LC Call No.:   CS71.S5358 1987
Dewey No.:     929/.2/0973 19
ISBN:          0880820195 (pbk.)
Notes:         Includes index.
Subjects:      Shea family.
               Shays, Daniel, 1747-1825 -- Family.
               Shays' Rebellion, 1786-1787.
Other authors: Nicholson, Mary Ann.
               Smail, Elmer S. Descendants of Daniel Shays.
Control No.:   4793947

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/24/02 05:16PM >>>
I sent in a question on Daniel Shays earlier this week. I had one reply from
Bob Arnold, which makes me think that I did not pose my question correctly.
Hope you will forgive me for trying again.  Les Buell

I am trying to follow Daniel Shays route after his failed rebellion (Shays'
Rebellion). I know his is buried here in western New York, but I am not sure
how he arrived here. Does anyone know if he left the country and went to
Canada after fleeing to Vermont with the collapse of the rebellion? Thanks Les