NYHIST-L Archives

July 2002

From:
Bill Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:28:41 -0400
According to Volume I of Jabez Hammond's History of Political Parties in the
State New York State, it was a popular election:

"The election, in April, does not seem to have been very warmly contested in
any other part of the state but the city of New-York. In that city and
county, Mr. Clinton received but five hundred and ninety, and Col. Willet
six hundred and seventy-eight, while the federal candidate, Mr. Fish,
received two thousand and fourty-four votes: having nearly two to one of the
aggregate vote cast for Clinton and Willet. The result of this election
showed very clearly the little strength that remained to Mr. Clinton among
the New-York republicans, and it also proves that so anxious were the
Martling men to defeat Mr. C. that a majority of them actually voted for the
federal candidate, Mr. Fish. . ." (page 295)

Bill Carr
Town of Malta
Saratoga County, NY

Lossing's Field Books of the Revolution and War of 1812 at
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~wcarr1/