NYHIST-L Archives

September 2006

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:23:06 -0400
There is a very large elm tree at the North West corner of Washington
Square Park that is known as "the hanging tree".  I am doubtful whether
this legend can be true, since I doubt that NY City, whether in the
colonial period or after, would have held an execution in such an
informal manner.

I have looked at Hearn's biographical guide to the hanged (&c) of New
York state without seeing a likely candidate.

Does anyone know the basis for this story?

Does anyone have an opinion as to how old an elm would have to be to
support a hanging, or how old this particular tree might be?

Thanks.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.