NYHIST-L Archives

November 2002

From:
NYHISTLED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:53:37 -0500
NOTE:

The following response to the inquiry about the place name "Soldiers' Fortune" was posted on another list (NYS-LGH, maintained for the New York State local government historians) and is supplied here for the information and interest of NYHIST-L subscribers.

Moderator, NYHIST-L

Soldiers' Fortune was an encampment in 1779-1781 in the Hudson Highlands in what is now Philipstown, Putnam County.  According to  a "Scheme for Surprising 3 Rebel Brigades on the East Side of Hudson's River in the Highlands", Nixon's brigade was encamped there.  It said "Nixons Brigade lays at a place called by ye rebels the Soldier fortune Stretching from ye Road leading to Col Robinson's to Peter Warrens on ye Post Roade.  A battery or some kind of fortifycation is at ye Widow Arkels in ye fork of ye Roade."

Col. Beverly Robinson's house was on what is now Route 9D south of Route 403.  Peter Warren's was 2 miles (as the crow flies) east on the Old Albany Post Road.  To find the Widow Arkels', look at any good map north of Robinson's on route 9D to its intersection with  Route 403; follow  403 east to Forsonville Road.  Take Forsonville Road until it crosses Route 9 and take the old West Point Road to the Old Albany Post Road.  The Widow Arkels was at this intersection.  Route 403 is shown as a "notch in the mountains".

Another contemporary document describes "Soldiers folly" as being on the
North River. There were redoubts on the heights on either side of Route 403 east of 9D.

There is one local historian who believes that Soldiers' Fortune lay in what
is now Putnam Valley (formerly Philipstown).  There is an awful lot of
territory between Col. Robinson's and Peter Warren's, but none of it is in
Putnam Valley.  Bob MacDonald, who lives in southern New Jersey has gathered together these clues on the location of Soldiers' Fortune.

Sallie Sypher