NYHIST-L Archives

December 2012

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
Philip G Terrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 12:38:22 -0500
This is an interesting question. I'm guessing that the chain of lakes is probably what is now known as the Essex Chain of Lakes, recently acquired by the Nature Conservancy  from Finch, Pruyn and soon to be bought by New York State and added to the Forest Preserve.  I did not know there had once been a hotel there; I have seen references to a hunting camps. At the time TNC bought the parcel from Finch, Pruyn, it had been under lease to the Gooley Club for about 60 years, with similar arrangements going back the late 19th century. Members of the Gooley Club have been bitterly opposed to state purchase because this means their camps will all be demolished and what had been their exclusive preserve will be open to the public.

The quoted description sounds like it's from a period guide book or perhaps a guide published by a railroad co. I'd try the series of guides published by E. R. Wallace (all my books are still in boxes after a recent move). Or the guides published by the Delaware and Hudson RR, which operated the line from Saratoga Springs to North Creek.

cheers,
phil

Philip G. Terrie
Professor Emeritus, American Culture Studies and Environmental Studies
Bowling Green State University

115 Northview Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850
810-300-5311