NYHIST-L Archives

September 1998

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:44:26 -0400
On the potash question; there is a sprinkling (pardon the pun) of potash information in 19th century works on general agriculture, but I have not yet found the definitive early study. My own research into inland nvaigation systems in the 1790-1820 period has turned up a fair amount on potash shiping, and I have some sources from my work on the Bennington Battlefield (published 1989) that would be applicable to the period you are looking at. I suggest is you are close enought, stop by. (Cultural Education Center - Albany, NY)

Philip Lord, Jr.
Historical Survey
New York State Museum

>>> Ian McGiver <[log in to unmask]> 09/01 5:29 PM >>>
Some Queries:

        --I Know that this has been a point of several recent
discussions, but I would like to know the best way to get a list of New
York State newspapers (circa 1770-1820) that are currently available on
microfilm AND are eligible for interlibrary loan.

        --Pot Ash. Does anyone know of a thorough study  of pot ash? I am
particularly interested in the marketing  of pot ash in New york state
during the early to mid 1780s and beyond.

        --does anyone know of a comprehensive study of land pricing in the
back country areas of new york state during the 1780s, 1790s?

thanks
Ian McGiver