NYHIST-L Archives

February 2003

From:
Kathy Sheehan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:03:57 -0500
Please excuse cross-postings

CALL FOR PAPERS

YOU ARE WHAT YOU WEAR:
CLOTHING AND IDENTITY

A Day-long Symposium at the
Rensselaer County Historical Society, Troy NY
Saturday, November 1, 2003

The Rensselaer County Historical Society (RCHS) in Troy, NY is presenting a
call for papers to be delivered at its Fall 2003 symposium.  The symposium
will augment the Upstate History Alliance (UHA) traveling exhibition Looking
in the Mirror: Clothing and Identity, that will be on display at RCHS from
September to early December.  The exhibition invites people to explore the
many ways, past and present, in which clothing helps shape our identity.
Whether thinking about that special dress worn to a prom, the military
uniform now worn only for parades, or that favorite cozy bathrobe, clothes
make all of us who we are.  We wear clothes to fit in, or to stand out; for
work and for play; to celebrate and to mourn.

The goal of the symposium is to inspire interest into how clothing is used
to shape individual and group identity.  We also want to help spread the
word on historical resources on clothing available to researchers.
Participants will be asked to prepare a 20-30 minute presentation preferably
with visuals, on topics related to the following themes.  Panel discussions
are also encouraged.

SUGGESTED TOPICS:
Religion and Clothing            Symbolic Clothing
Advertising and Clothing        Changing Styles, Changing Taboos
Music and Clothing            Preserving Clothing and Clothing Records
Social Status and Clothing        Designer Versus Knock-off

HOW TO SUBMIT
Please submit a one-page description of your proposed session by April 30,
2003 to Stacy Pomeroy Draper, RCHS Curator, 57 Second Street, Troy, NY
12180.  Final decisions on the symposium program will be made by May 15,
2003.  Each participant will be asked to provide a paper for possible
publication of symposium proceedings by RCHS at a later date.  Any questions
may be directed to Ms. Draper at [log in to unmask] or (518) 272-7232.
For more information about RCHS please visit our website, www.rchsonline.org

HISTORY OF THE FALL SYMPOSIUM AT RCHS
In 2001, RCHS held a successful two-day symposium, Advancing Prosperity:
Life and Culture in Upstate New York 1825 ­ 1861.  The success of that
symposium encouraged RCHS to present a biennial fall symposium that is
connected to the fall exhibit. The Fall Symposium promotes research and
discussion about historical topics that relate to upstate New York.