From:
Honor Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:32:42 -0400
   If the diary was actually written later than 1893, there was a Lula Brownell, age 17, in the 1900 census living on Union St, Milton Town, Village of Ballston Spa, Saratoga Co., NY.  She was born in December 1882 in New York State (her parents also born in NYS).  She was a servant in the household of Etta Quilbark, born September 1856 who had a son in the house, Guy C. Burnham, born December 1872, a day laborer.
   There are also other Lula Brownells in other parts of the state and the United States but that one was the closest to Albany.

Honor

>>> Paul Huey <[log in to unmask]> 6/7/2007 10:04 PM >>>

There is an old diary that was in a  box with an old KKK uniform from 1916
found in a Rensselaer County attic. I am  not certain who wrote the diary, but I
have a good theory.  It was an old  diary book for 1893, but it must have
been used at some later date.  The  entries include adolescent, low-class dirty
jokes and limericks, but much  of the diary is written in a simple code, which
I was able to  crack.  The writer evidently was a washing machine salesman.
Writing  and spelling is poor, and some of the entries are somewhat cryptic
even after  translation.  Here are a few of the entries; the text in large case
is translated from the code:

Jan. 3, Tuesday.
WENT TO CASELTON AND TO ALBANY TO SAND LAKE LULA BROWNELL  TOOK LULA TO
SUPPER DID NOT STAY LONG IN TOWN WENT TO A SERTEN FRIENDS ALL NIGHT  DID NOT SLEEP
MUTCH BUT THERE WAS NO TIME TO
Feb. 8, Wednesday.
WENT TO TROY AND THERE MET W A  AND IT  WAS HOTER THAN O GINGET TEN TIMES I
DANCED WITH LULA OR W A
May 22, Monday.
went to Albany to see a party a bout washing  machines  Seen the shoew  SAW
LIBIE TO THE  SHOEW
May 25, Thursday.
Went to Albany to Myeres Hotell to shoew the washer he dus not want to  let
me show it
There are references to other women by first name in many of the entries,
written in the code.  Maybe the 1893 diary dates actually were used by the
writer for some later year.  I am still doing research on this diary and  the KKK,
and if you have any information on Lula Brownell, W.A., or Libbie, I  would
be very interested.
Paul Huey

In a message dated 6/6/2007 3:46:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,