NYHIST-L Archives

April 2000

From:
Peter Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:50:16 -0400
I have been reading the various emails about so-called postal confusions in
New York State, and waiting for someone to point out that because of
overlapping jurisdictions of towns and villages, and pervasiveness of
unincorporated places and neighborhoods without formal legal status, but
which have named post offices, there are countless thousands of examples,
which to me raises the question of the usefulness of  the category.

Is a common postal addresses like "New York, New York"   an example of  a
postal confusion? By the standards of  the emails  on this question I
suppose so, since neither the name of the borough or the city is included in
the address,  but I can't imagine anyone being confused by it.  Post office
nomenclature is sometimes complex, but not all  complexities are confusions,
which more often than not  are in the eye of the beholder.

Peter Eisenstadt