NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:38:49 -0400
Dear J.E.:
You should have received two email messages which I caused to be sent from
OCLC's FirstSearch Worldcat database. The first is a citation for the book
in question and the second is a list of libraries in the region that hold
this edition.  Whenever looking for bibliographic information, Worldcat is
an excellent place to start. It includes entries for all catalogued
materials for all participating libraries (most large and medium, many
small and specialized libraries participate). And one gets not only the
citation, but holding library information so you can request an
interlibrary loan (either online using OCLC or via paper from any library)
or visit a holding library.
Wayne Miller

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, The Stones wrote:

> While tearing the roof off my kitchen (a lovely task!) I happened upon a
> book buried under the insulation. It is "Freedom's Offering, A
> Collection of Poems" by Joseph C. Holly, published in Rochester by Chas.
> H. McDonnell, Book & Job Printer in 1853. In the preface Mr. Holly
> describes himself as "the unlearned representative of an oppressed race,
> who have been denied the capacity for anything intellectual..."
>
> The little volume is 38 pages long and is in its original cover.
>
> Does anyone out there know anything about Mr. Holly or his poems?
>
> J.E. Carney

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire