NYHIST-L Archives

March 1999

From:
Barbara Lilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:12:41 -0500
I asked a dutch friend.  She did not recognize the word, but said it reminded  her of sucade, which is candied fruit.

Barbara Lilley
NYS Program for the Conservation/Preservation of Library Research Materials
New York State Library
518/486/4864

>>> Serena Zabin <[log in to unmask]> 03/22 8:23 AM >>>
I am trying to translate a number of mid-eighteenth century letters,
written in Dutch, from Anna de Peyster to her daughter Maria.  Anna
frequently refers to buying such imported foodstuffs as oranges, syrup,
and something called "suklet."  I have no idea what "suklet" might be.  I
assume it is either sugar or chocolate, since she refers to buying it in
"rolleties" (little rolls).  Has anyone seen this word before?  Anna's
spelling is very irregular.

I would appreciate any insights.

Thanks very much.

Serena Zabin