NYHIST-L Archives

December 2005

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:31:47 -0500
>I am interested in the history of turtle soup in London and New York City.
>My impression is that although the dish reached its height of popularity
>in New York in the late 19th century,  it had long been on menus and it
>would remain so until the early 1960s.
>
>I am now looking for sources relating to turtles and turtle soup in New
>York City. In particular I am hoping to find information on the
>importation and sale in markets and shops of live turtles from the
>Caribbean, descriptions of official functions, restaurants and taverns
>where turtle soup was served, and material on the commercial production of
>the soup. It would also be wonderful to identify locations of pictures --
>prints, paintings or photographs.
>
>I was hoping that members of the list might have come across references to
>turtle soup in archives, memoirs, works of fiction or historical studies.
>If so, I would be most grateful if you could direct me to any such
>material. If you don't have any specific sources to suggest, general
>advice on archives to approach would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>Oliver Marshall
>London, England

Oliver,

If you will go to the web sit of the Library of Congress search engine at
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/lhbtnbibquery.html#full
and search on 'turtle soup" you'll find eleven references under the
"American Notes: Travels in America, 1750-1920" section. Entries 3, 6, and
7 make specific reference to the New York City area (including Hoboken, New
Jerey). Not too much detail, I'm afraid but it might be of interest.

Good luck,
David Minor

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423
'dminor' 'at symbol' 'eznet.net'

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as a Quote of the Week and a URL of the Week,
e-mail me at the address above.

HOME PAGE
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1992 AD.
http://home.eznet.net/~dminor/NYNY.html

Visit the Canal Society of New York State page at http://www.canalsnys.org/

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
	-John Bartram, U. S. naturalist