NYHIST-L Archives

July 2011

From:
Tillman Nechtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:42:24 -0400
I am researching the life and career of a British adventurer by the name of Joshua Hill.  Hill is perhaps
best known (where he is known at all) for taking control (without permission) of the British colony at
Pitcairn Island in the Pacific from 1832 to 1837.

I have found a letter in which Hill claims to have lived with the Seneca leader Sagoyewatha (or Red
Jacket) and to have visited Niagara and Montmorency Falls.  Both claims suggest he spent time in
western New York State, and I am trying to find any research leads that might help me confirm the
claims.  Any suggestions on where I might find archival materials from Sagoyewatha, in particular,
would be welcome.

Thanks,
Tillman W. Nechtman
Associate Professor