NYHIST-L Archives

May 2002

From:
Patricia Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 18:29:38 -0400
A quote from the liner notes of the CD entitled "The Catskill Collection"
regarding "Ashokan Farewell" which was composed and performed by Jay Unger
and Molly Mason.

"I wrote this tune in the fall of 1982 after our third summer of music and
dance camps at Ashokan had come to a close. The feelings of friendship and
community were so strong at Ashokan that summer that, on arriving home and
back to the so-called real world, I felt a deep sense of loss and longing
for the people, the music and the good-times we had shared. I picked up my
fiddle and "Ashokan Farewell" was born. A couple of years later documentary
film maker Ken Burns heard "Ashokan Farewell" and was very moved by it. It
became the musical centerpiece of Ken's PBS series "The Civil War" and
Molly and I have worked on most of his films since." -Jay Unger