NYHIST-L Archives

April 2001

From:
Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:56:11 -0400
At 08:40 PM 4/19/01 -0400, Chris Andrle wrote:
>> I've read that the colonist in NYC put up "Liberty Poles".  What is a
>Liberty Pole?  Is it a flag pole?

I can't cite any first hand descriptions of what a Liberty pole looked
like; we know from Simms that one was erected in the Mohawk Valley, quickly
removed by Guy Johnson and his retinue. We know one was erected in NYC by
Willett and other Sons of Liberty, as recorded in his published
"Narrative". Can anyone provide a period description of any unique features
a liberty pole may have had?

BTW  the "Liberty Pole" is a pretty well known landmark in downtown
Rochester, which resembles a Modern Art interpretation of a May Pole....

regards,
Greg

Greg Ketcham
webmaster,
"Drums Along The Mohawk: the American Revolution on the New York Frontier"
http://www.nyhistory.net/~drums