NYHIST-L Archives

February 1999

From:
Kim Harris Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:05:55 -0500
At 04:27 PM 1/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi.  I've been a lurker on this list for a while now.  Everybody here is so
>helpful I thought I'd give you folks a shot at my problem.
>
>I'm a librarian in a public library in the Rochester area.  I have been
>unable to find any information on the switch from 2 year to 4 year terms
>for New York Governor.  This appears to have taken place in the early 20th
>century.  I am especially interested in the reasoning, discussion or debate
>leading up to the change.  Can anybody out there give me citations, leads,
>hints or clues for locating this kind of info?  A great friend of the
>library needs this information and we would dearly love to help him but
>have struck out so far.  Can anybody out there help?  Thanks in advance!
>
>Terry Buford
>Greece Public Library
>125 Mitchell Rd
>Rochester, NY  14626
>716-723-2257,   716-225-2777 (fax)

Terry,

Congratulations on the new library building for Greece.
You must be excited! About the change in term, I wonder
if it  took place on the 13th of February, 1787, an act was passed
for regulating elections, which provided that the Governor and Lieutenant
Governor
should enter on the duties of their respective offices on the 1st of July
after their
election.

I can't seem to find any governor that served less than a
4 year term (although maybe some colonial gov'r did).

The NYGenweb Project has a Governors of NY page, perhaps
you will find something useful there.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nygenweb/governors.htm

Kim Harris Myers
NYGenweb coordinator http://www.nygenweb.com