NYHIST-L Archives

November 2001

Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:11:37 -0500
Good afternoon.

I have joined this list because I am currently working very hard on a
project which involves geneological research, but which has me stymied to a
fair degree due to my collection of "lore" which contains no references to
accurate names and dates.

I know, for example, that the family was considered a "high society" family,
one whose children attended so-called "society schools" in the early 1900's,
and even a well-known art school in the 1930's, though I do not know which
school(s).

I know that one gentleman was a relatively well-known organist in New York
City around the turn of the century, but that this was not his profession,
as he held a law degree and was in the banking business.

I would guess by now that my problem is quite clear.  The sorts of
information I have are nonspecific in nature for the most part, and leave me
with little ability to fine tune my research.

My question to the list is whether anyone might have some suggestions or
guidance for me with regard to specific resources which I might do well to
consult for further research.  For instance, were their directories which
made reference to the "high society" of New York City in the early 1900's?

I am seeking any sort of resource which might allow me to engage more
readily in the research using the vast amount of "lore" I have available to
me.  (I do have surnames, etc., but did not know whether it would be
appropriate to print them here.)

I thank you very much for allowing me to post this query, and for any
guidance and expertise which any of you might be willing to share with me.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Julia