NYHIST-L Archives

March 1999

From:
Densmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:45:02 -0500
On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Emily Leonard wrote:

> >>Does anyone know the differences among Methodist, Methodist Episcopal,
> >>Episcopal, and Protestant Episcopal Churches?

A bit out of my usual area, but as I understand it, Methodist is the
generic term that covers everything.

The United Methodist Church (formed 1968) incorporates the old Methodist
Episcopal Church and other formerly separate groups of Methodists and
Brethren.  There are sizeable groups of Methodists outside of the United
Methodist Church including black churches (African Methodist Episcopal and
others). Several of the splits in the Methodist Church were occasioned by
slavery (notably the Wesleyan Methodists in NYS in the 1840s-- now the
Wesleyan Church).

Episcopal refers to a church government system with bishops-- something
share by the United Methodists and the Episcopalian churches (Methodism
did begin as a reform movement within the Anglican church). Some of the
splits in American Methodist churches came over whether or not bishops
were a  good thing.

The Protestant Episcopal Church is the largest of the Episcopalian
(derived from the Anglican church) denominations in the US.  The other
Anglican/Episcopalian churches in the US are pretty small.

Christopher Densmore
University Archives
University at Buffalo
420 Capen Hall