NYHIST-L Archives

July 1999

Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:48:33 -0400
Dear Jane,

The Burleigh perspective maps of Poland, Middleville & Newport NY - all circa
1890 are viewable on the Library of Congress' American Memory Map page.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

below the graphic at the top of the page, click on "Search", then enter the name
of the town you want. You should have no trouble finding them. Click on the
desired listed item. A small map will appear.  Click on it. What you do then may
vary according to your equipment. I choose 640x480 and the second dot after "Zoom
In", then click on the general area that interests me. The map will re center on
the spot you click. To scroll click near the edge in the direction you wish, or
zoom out, choose a new center of interest, and zoom back in.

There are many wonderful maps available through this site. Spend some time
browsing from the links on the page whose address I gave above. If you have
enough hard drive space, a fair amount of memory, a decent internet connection
and a fast modem I recommend you download the viewer and the maps which you like
to your computer. Then you can examine them off-line at your leisure. It is a
better way to view them because you can zoom to exactly the size you wish, and
save maps of the areas that interest you. The software is great and FREE!!!

Enjoy,
Mary H

PS One of my favorite maps at this site is

Tunison's railroad, distance, and township map of New York from latest surveys.

It shows all the counties, and within the counties the different townships, each
colored so that it is possible to see just where their borders lie. A few have
changed since the map was created, but it is a great resource for NY
Genealogists.