NYHIST-L Archives

February 2013

From:
Philip G Terrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:20:16 -0500
I am researching the life and work of Jesse S. Wooley, a photographer based in Ballston Spa, ca. 1890-1930. He was also the resident photographer at the Silver Bay Association on Lake George from 1908-23. The Brookside Museum in Ballston Spa has thousands of his images, and many others are in private collections. No shortage of images. What is frustratingly hard to find is anything in Wooley's own voice indicating what he thought about his subjects. A diary was cited in a 1978 article about him in Gristmill, an occasional periodical/newsletter published by Brookside, but it has vanished.

He worked with Seneca Ray Stoddard for several years beginning in 1893, but nothing about him shows up in Stoddard's papers.

If anyone on this list has suggestions on primary documents that might shed light on Wooley's life, I would be most appreciative.

cheers,
phil

Philip G. Terrie
Professor Emeritus, American Culture Studies and Environmental Studies
Bowling Green State University

115 Northview Rd.
Ithaca, NY 14850
810-300-5311