NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:31:13 -0700
I live in Thendara. The DeCamps built the mill here, and developed the area. My
house, and many of the Thendara houses were built by the mill for their
employees. The author L. Sprague DeCamp is related to him, and was born in my
house. We have our own zip code: 13472, and our own post office, although it is
only manned a few hours a day. Most people who do not live here do not know
where Thendara stops and Old Forge starts. The line is just south of the route
28 bridge which crosses the middle branch of the Moose River as you enter OF
coming from the south. I have to admit that my memory of local history has
faded since 7th grade. I have some books somewhere and can get answers for you.
The train station at Thendara was originally called Fulton Chain.

Mary H