NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
Oliver Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:29:35 +0000
I wonder whether anyone has come across references to the recruitment by Brazilian government immigration agents of Irish people in New York City in 1867?  From offices on Broadway, the Brazilian Emigration Agency was mainly interested in establishing contacts in the South to recruit former Confederates, but  several hundred poverty stricken Irish (and some German) immigrants in the New York were also dispatched.

I have seen New York newspaper reports relating to this episode, but I wonder whether there might be other American sources worth investigating. Has anyone by any chance come across references to Irish re-emigration from New York or might be able to suggest possible sources.

Thank you.

Oliver Marshall

Centre for Brazilian Studies
University of Oxford