NYHIST-L Archives

August 1997

Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:53:11 -0400
There is a very interesting article about ear marks--which was the cutting
animal's ears for identification--in the New York Genealogical and
Biographical Record, Volume 125, Number 3, July 1994, page 151 called
"Hempstead Ear Marks 1785-1861 contributed by John Russel Sprague III. He
suggests further reading about ear marks in general: Frank G. Speck,
"Earmarks of Livestock of the Settlers at Woodbridge, New Jersey, 1716-1799."
reprint from The General Magazine and Historiacal Chronicle, October 1938,
pp. 1f.

If you are using ear marks for genealogical research they can help indicate
that a person was living on the date the earmark was recorded and sometimes
the entry tells the father of the recorder. If the earmark was inherited the
name of the relative to whom the ear mark was transferred may be listed.
Also, since the ear marks tended to remain within families--family members
can sometimes be identified in the records even if no mention is made of
their parentage simply by using the designs--of course this would just be
circustantial evidence--but may provide a much needed lead.

Hope this helps.

Brenda

<< Does anyone have any background on cattle earmarks.  I am doing genealogy
 for my family and they appear to be handed down from father to son or
 grandfather to son quite frequently.  I would see if you think this is a
 good way to show some for of kinship.  I am speaking of the time period of
 the 1640's to the 1750's in NY and NJ.  Any ideas? or references to read on
 the sugject? >>