NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Bob Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:04:55 -0400
In the Albany City Directory, I believe in 1855, there is a man still listed as a slave. It has always been a mystery to me how he came to be so at that time. African Americans, by the way, and blind people for some reason, are usually listed in italics until about 1860.

>>> John Weiss <[log in to unmask]> 07/07 1:03 AM >>>
I have now seen a number of further responses that have been sent
directly to me. When I have pursued the leads offered me I shall post a
summary back to the list. It is clear that the emancipation on 4 July
1827 WAS substantive, but it is also clear that there is some mystery
about those who remained unfree.
--
John Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Researching the four thousand Black Americans