NYHIST-L Archives

February 2002

From:
Nancy Piatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:26:51 -0500
>Do any of you have policies as to the scanning of
their collections, or partof, by visitors. We in our
museum would be interested in how this is handled.
> Do you allow the scanning?  Do you charge a fee for
the scans etc

The archives of the Episcopal Diocese of WNY are
closed in the sense that we do not allow walk-ins. I
am there when I can be there I currently do all the
looking up of records because of the sensitivity of
the material in the sacramental records- illegitimate
births, causes of death unless the researcher is known
and not a "record troller". As far as copying and
scanning- I do it all. Many of our records are very
fragile and one-of-a-kind. We have facilities in-house
for doing this but in staff offices. I am currently
looking at costs per page etc for this service. Until
now it has been free but it does take time and
materials- I have thossed this out to my advisory
board and they agree. We just have to get it in place.

Nancy Piatkowski
archivist, Episcopal Diocese of WNY
http://buffalolore.buffalonet.org/Episcopalarchives/arc
hives.htm