NYHIST-L Archives

August 1998

From:
Walter Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:28:52 -0400
Phil Lord wrote:

> For a slide show I am putting together, I am searching for a photogenic painting or print showing one or two sloops or large boats typical of Great Lakes civilian shipping in the early 19th century. Does not have to be a period image, but better if it is, and even better if Lake Ontario. Nothing after 1820ish. Best if pre-1812.

There are a number of images of Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence
in or near the period you have identified.  George Heriot, the Deputy
Postmaster General did a tour of the region in 1805.  The National
Archives of Canada have the originals.  There was a series of view done
in the late 1820s of Montreal, Brockville, Kingston and Toronto. The
Brockville view has a particularly good boat in the foreground (i.e.
opposite Morristown).  They are all probably "marred" from your point of
view by including steamboats in each image.  Very post-War of 1812. (I
can provide a scan in whatever image format you'd prefer, but won't send
it to the list as a whole)

The Archives of Ontario has a collection of Burrowes watercolours from
the period 1829-33. Most are Rideau canal but I have prints from
Prescott to Trenton that include a variety of watercraft.

The Royal Ontario Museum has a significant number of Col. Cockburn's
watercolours (they are spread over a number of collections).  While most
are from Lower Canada, Cockburn did travel on Lake Ontario and left some
very engaging images, mostly from
about 1830.

Finally, there are some superb under-water images of the _Lord Nelson_
and _Diana_ (better known after being brought into the USN as _Hamilton_
and _Scourge_). Both were pre-War of 1812 commercial craft. Emily Cain's
_Ghost Ships_ reproduces some of the best of these but there have been a
number of dives on the site since this was produced.

Walter Lewis