NYHIST-L Archives

October 1999

From:
AW & LE Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 08:59:37 -0400
In his reply to the query about a War of 1812 battle in Hamilton, Daniel
Weiskotten refers to an 1838 "Battle of the Windmill" in which a group of
militia attempted to "liberate" Canada. Henry Severance writes a bit about
the battle in his 1885 history of Cazenovia. The Severance manuscript was
found in the Cazenovia Public Library safe by my mother, then town
historian, and much was published by the library in 1984 under the title
"Owahgena, Being a History of the Town, and Village of Cazenovia." See pp
86-88.

Gen. J. Ward Birge of Cazenovia led a "Patriot Army" but fell ill when the
invaders landed at Prescott. A Prussian soldier of fortune took command, the
expedition captured an empty windmill and the "liberators" were taken
prisoner. The Prussian was hanged, Birge spared, and another Cazenovian,
William Dwinelle, send later to fetch the Prussian's remains.

Severance says he wrote from "the most authentic records, from tradition and
from memory." He quotes in full a published 1837 proclamation to the
Canadians in regards to their pending "rescue" but the rest of his account
seems to be based on tradition and memory.

--Lester Hendrix