Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:43:57 -0400
> Can anyone recommend some resources for learning more about the inland
> water route from Albany (or Schenectady) to Oswego, prior to the building
> of the Erie Canal?
>
> Specifically, I'm wondering how much shipping took place on this somewhat
> cumbersome route, and to what final destinations?  Towns on Lake Ontario?
> With NIagara Falls in the way, they would not have had good access to the
> rest of the Great Lakes, would they have?
>
> Thanks for any help...
>
> Dave R.

Dave,

It may not address your specific concerns but you might find helpful
information in  a  project I've been presenting at annual Canal Society
winter meetings for the past five years follows two expeditions
(intermingled) across the state along the canal's route. The first is the
travels of the canal commissioners on their route-planning expedition in
1810, contrasting (and comparing, of course) it with the 1826 expedition
of
Rensselaer professor Amos Eaton and his students. The entire piece covers
the twerritory between Albany and Rochester so far. It begins at:

http://threerivershms.com//davidminor.htm

My main source was the De Witt Clinton journals online.

Regards,

David

--
David Minor