NYHIST-L Archives

April 2002

From:
Bill Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:06:25 -0500
I can't shed any light on the term "yellow boys", but can provide a quote
from Colonel Stone's "Life of Brant"  (1838) re: the affair:

"Of the early life of Sir John Johnson not much is known. He was not as
popular as his father, being less social, and less acquainted with human
nature and the springs of human action. He accompanied his father on some of
his warlike expeditions, however, and probably saw considerable service.
Soon after the termination of the French war, he was sent by his father, at
the head of a small expedition, to the Mohawk canton of Oghkwaga, to arrest
a Captain Bull, and some other malcontents and disaffected Indians, who were
charged with being engaged in an effort to enlist the Six Nations in a war
against some other Indians, or possibly to win them over to the designs of
Pontiac. For this purpose young Johnson had a choice corps of men placed
under his command, most of whom had served with the Baronet against the
French. He had also a detachment of Indians with him. The expedition was
arranged somewhat with a view of display-for the purpose, as it was
conjectured, of giving eclat to the young commander. The enterprise was
successful-Bull and his adherents were taken, and brought in irons to
Johnstown. From thence they were sent to Albany and imprisoned for a time,
but were all subsequently discharged."

Bill Carr
Town of Malta
Saratoga County, NY

Lossing's Field Books of the Revolution and War of 1812 at
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~wcarr1/