NYHIST-L Archives

March 2002

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 01:57:42 -0500
Received the following query. If anyone has information that might be of
help, they can reply to the list and I'll pass the info along.

I'm wondering if the Laight mentioned was the source of Laight Street in
Manhattan's Tribeca?

The only information I had to hand was -

>>1810
April
General Henry Dearborn leaves Washington for Boston, hoping to raise a
citizens' army to attack Canada via a Lake Champlain route.

State
92,677 men are currently enrolled in the state militia. <<

Thanks in advance,
David Minor
v v v v v v v

I was chasing "Phyfe" around the web as I am trying to put together the Phyfe
genealogy.  I wonder if you might give me a moment of your time --
Duncan Phyfe had an older brother Michael Phyfe.  There is very little
information about Michael, but I found on the web that he is in:
Cayuga County, NY, pg 029, Township/Other Info - 11010-31010, Fed. Pop.
Sched., Database:  NY 1810 Fed. Census Index, ID#NYS1a2414226
This was not copied into ancestry images on line.  So I have no way of
finding out who was with him there.
I brought up Cayuga County and found it so interesting -- divided up as
payment to the army after the Revolution.
I also found Michael in the War of 1812 :.
1 Reg't (Laight's) NY Militia, Private/Private, Roll/Box 164, Roll-Exct
602
11 Artillery Regiment, NY, Rank:  Matross/Matross, Roll Box 164,
Roll-Exct 602

If you have any idea where I can find out why my ancestor was in Cayuga
in 1810, and what Laight's Militia was and where they were, I would be
deeply appreciative.  Thank you very much for any bit of help you choose
to give,  Barbara

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423
co-Webmaster for Canal Society of New York State page at
http://www.canalsnys.org/

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as news of updates to my homepage and a URL of the
week, e-mail me at the address above.

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
        -John Bartram, U. S. naturalist