NYHIST-L Archives

July 1997

Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 00:17:00 -0400
Phil,

   There may be a connection between the Utica Glass Company in Oneida County
and the glass factory at Peterborough, N.Y. (Madison County?).  I think the
Peterborough glass company was the Smith & Soulden Glass Works of ca. 1809 to
1830.

     In July 1965, when I was working for Lou Ismay in his excavation of the
Albany Glass Works site in Guilderland, we went out to Peterborough to look
at the glass factory site there.  An old barn had recently burned down, and
(lo and behold!) inside it were the remains of the original glass furnaces.
 The furnaces were the same star-shaped form and size as the furnaces we had
just uncovered in Guilderland.  I took quite a few photos (which i still
have).

     I wish I knew now exactly where we were, because that would certainly be
a significant archeological site that should be preserved.
Paul Huey