From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:31:14 -0400
Michelle,

Asa Fitch's lifetime diaries are in the Sterling Memorial Library at Yale
and available on microfilm. I have viewed the sections referring to the
canal expedition. Fascinating material. BTW, a good resource for locating
archives and their contents is the Union Catalogue section at the Library
of Congress web page - www.loc.gov I believe). You can search the catalogue
by subject's name.

Thanks for the suggestion,

David

>If I remember correctly, Rensselear Polytechnic Institute has a small Amos
>Eaton collection that might be helpful.  Also, I think that his student's
>name is Asa Fitch.  Someone at the RPI Archives and Special Collections
>might be able to point you in the right direction.

>Greetings,
>
>I'm doing  research for a documentary script including Professor Amos
>Eaton's 1826 field trip across the state on the Erie Canal. One of his
>students, Asa Firch, later state entomologist, kept a journal of the
>expedition, and mentions stopping on May 9th to visit the Chittenengo
>Polytechnic school (apparently a grade school) run by a Mr. Yates. Can
>anyone provide any details on either Yates or the school?

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
716 264-0423

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 450,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.